Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Missed It!

Ok, so back in February my son, Gabe, was assigned to do a Moon Journal with his class. Every night he was supposed to go outside and look at the sky, find the moon and notate it in his journal. He was supposed to draw pictures of the position and describe the scene. He mostly did a good job. Sometimes, he would just look out his bedroom window to see if he could find it. Generally the moon ended up behind the house so he could see it from his room.


So, the night of the 20th rolled around. (Robert said that the eclipse was going to be the next night) Gabe goes outside to check the position of the moon, comes back in, fills out his journal and goes to bed. Doesn't say one word to us...


The next day at the lab I hear from everyone, "did you see the eclipse?", "that was so cool!"


I'm thinking to myself, "no, it is tonight, Robert said so". They're all "awww, it was so cool!"


I get home from work. I see Gabe and ask him if he saw the eclipse last night. His reply was a firm "Yup!" So I ask him, "why didn't you tell us it was happening?"


In true Gabe form, he gets a goofy grin on his face and says "because" and laughs himself silly.


So, today I was going through an old email account and found not only a "memoir of " my Grandma McElwee done up from her journals by my Aunt Eve (dad's side) but this fabulous photograph of the eclipse taken by a photographer from Bozeman, MT.


For all of you whose kids saw it and laugh because they didn't tell you it was happening here is the eclipse in all its glory in the Bozeman, MT sky:


And that is why it is called Big Sky Country!

Thanx Aunt Eve!

Good Night

2 comments:

Jessalee said...

That's pretty funny. On the 4th when Jack and I were watchhing fireworks, Jack would often get distracted and instead of looking at the fireworks would instead notice things like the people across the street watching on top of their house. In this case he was the one who kept missing things.

Anonymous said...

I really hate to miss a good thing...and yet, I always miss them! So sad...