Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tradition!

I love Fiddler on the Roof! But this post has nothing to do with that except the word TRADITION! that I must sing whenever I say it, or think it....

My family has a few traditions. They come from both mine and Robert's sides of the family. One that I am very proud of the fact that we both come from military families. Our dad's were Army/Air Force. Our brothers are Army/Navy. Makes for fun football!

Robert is an Air Force Brat, grew up mostly in England. Someday we will go there..

I missed out being a Brat by a year and a half. After my older sister was born, my dad left the Air Force as there was a surplus of Officers.

Currently, I have one brother who has been pulled into Army life. He is Navy, Reserve at the moment. He recieved notice earlier this year that the Army wanted him in Iraq in June. He has been training for a little over a month now on the East Coast. It is very worysome for me that he will be going to the middle of the war zone for such a long time. It never occured to me that he would be loaned to the Army. I always thought that if he ever had anything to do in this war he would be on a big boat or submarine somewhere in the Pacific. Although, how much involvement that would be is debateable.

Robert has a brother who spends time in the war zone at least once a year. His last time out, his number was called and he ended up back stateside a little early with an injury. That kid has more lives than a cat!

So with the injury of one brother and another brother headed into the thick of things, I worry!

I've always looked up to my brother. He probably doesn't know that. He always made the right decisions and makes mom and dad proud. He earned an amizing scholarship to the university of his choice from the Navy. He was the first in our family to serve an LDS mission in Africa in the Johannesburg, S. Africa mission. He returned to finish his program at school and had an outstanding career with the Navy.

My brother is a good example to my kids and helps teach them hard work. Last summer, I took the kids on an extended vacation heading to California and back. On our way down, we stayed a couple of days with him. He was preparing his garden for the summer and had the kids help him plant corn. The kids complained a bit because it was hot and a bit of work too. A week or two later we were back and they helped weed the garden. They were so excited to see the seeds they planted start coming up. We went to California to visit my little sister for a couple weeks (another story for another time) and came back. The kids were able to help harvest the corn they had planted. What a wonderful lesson!

I don't feel that I've had a very good relationship with my brother. He is five years older than I and we are quite different from each other. This is the first time, that I remember, any of my siblings actually going into a war zone. It scares me. But, I support him and all the others serving our country 100%. I appreciate their sacrifice. I am grateful for the service they give our country and for the examples they are to my children. I love my brother and my brother-in-law.

Having dinner with my brothers (and sister, and cousins, and friends) while on leave.

No comments: