Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Resolution.. A Little Late, But Better Than Never!


I love the scriptures! They have so many wonderful exmples of the Savior's love for us. I especially love the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon has the complete Gospel as Jesus taught it when he lived on the earth. The Book of Mormon, Another testament of Jesus Christ.

Last night, the kids and I (Robert had a late meeting)sat down and read a couple of chapters of the Book of Mormon as scripture study. We read about Nephi being born of good parents who taught him the things he needed to know both spiritual and temporal. Then, about the Vision his father Lehi had concerning the destruction of Jerusalem and the cycle of life- if you choose to obey the comandments you will be blessed, but if you do not follow the comandments you will be cursed. It is all so simple, really!

So the kids and I were sitting together reading and I noticed how well they read. they are smart kids, of course. But they did not stumble on any of the words, and there are a lotof difficult words in the scriptures, i.e. abominations, whithersoever, etc. I also noticed later how peaceful the rest of the night was. The kids didn't complain about going to bed. I didn't get upset at them for little annoing things. And when I went in to tuck the boys in bed, they had the most loving smiles on their faces for me. It made my heart leap!

The kids were challenged by their Primary presidency to read the scriptures daily, either on their own or as a family. I am working on a 'degree' through Relief Society that challenges myself to read the scriptures daily plus study them 3 times a week, or something like that. So, I am combining our challenges and we are doing it together. It has been a long time sisnce I have really studied and read the scriptures with any regularity. I hope these challenges help me to be a better person, mother, wife and friend. I hope they help my children learn to love the scriptures and have more peace in our home.

No comments: